Exercise with Limited Equipment
Luma Learning Strategies in the Transportation Industry
Teaching Without A Teaching Degree: Luma Learning Lessons contains 52 lesson plans and worksheets with 106 different teaching strategies designed for the trucking industry that can easily be adapted to suit any age and content topic.
Our free Luma Learning Lessons include objectives, estimated time, materials and instructional procedures for classroom and online/blended teaching. We will provide strategies on how to use our new LumaLive technology to collaborate virtually in real-time. We include these pillars from our learning research to illustrate where they are infused in our lessons.
For decades there has been discussions of interaction types in education. (Anderson, 2003) Most interaction types observed in driver training traditionally are learner to instructor or learner to content. Moreover, most interaction time with driver training and orientation is synchronous or at the same time. This Learning Strategy is going to help you think about ways you can hold training without a physical classroom.
The following Lesson is broken down into two different interaction times.
We are going to assume that you do not have access to a physical classroom. However it could be adapted for a physical classroom.
- Meet with learners using LumaLive or similar webinar technology that allows you to meet at the same time.
- Ask how many of them have been working on a regular basis (3-4 times per week)? Ask why not to those that have not been consistently working out?
- Optional: Have learners turn on their videos.
- Explain that being on the road or being stuck at home without a gym while trying to establish a fitness routine can be tricky, to say the least. But developing a physical activity program that works for you doesn’t need to be difficult. In fact, your equipment may be right in your toolbox.
- Pass out the Scavenger Hunt Worksheet.
- Go over the example and then brainstorm ideas of items around the house and discuss ideas.
- Challenge the learners to create their own toolbox for the group. They are going to create a list of items you can use for exercise when you have limited equipment. They will also create exercises that can be shared across students.
- Optional: Make it like a game and users that come back within a week and have the most items win a company workout shirt.
- Meet back in a week and share strategies.
- Send out our eNugget® on Exercising With Limited Equipment to complete. Have them also complete the Scavenger Hunt Worksheet.
- Have learners post their completed worksheets to an online discussion board and answer 2 of the following questions.
- Share an image of your item.
- Video tape your exercise and share with the group.
- Challenge learners to respond to 1 learner to try their exercise and leave feedback.
- Give them the requirement that they have to respond to anyone that posts a comment to their post.
- Optional: Make it like a game and users that come back within a week and have the most feedback win a company workout shirt.
Anderson, T. (2003). Modes of interaction in distance education: Recent developments and research questions. Handbook of distance education, 129-144.