Luma Learning Strategies in the Transportation Industry
Teaching Without A Teaching Degree: Luma Learning Lessons contains 52 lesson plans and worksheets with 106 different teaching strategies designed for the trucking industry that can easily be adapted to suit any age and content topic.
Resources and help can be found by calling 1-800-799-SAFE (7233). Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing may use TTY 1-800-787-3224.
This lesson will focus on how to teach others how to recognize unhealthy aspects in relationships and how to get help.
Our free Luma Learning Lessons include objectives, estimated time, materials and instructional procedures for classroom and online/blended teaching. We will provide strategies on how to use our new LumaLive technology to collaborate virtually in real-time. We include these pillars from our learning research to illustrate where they are infused in our lessons.
For decades there has been discussions of interaction types in education. (Anderson, 2003) Most interaction types observed in driver training traditionally are learner to instructor or learner to content. Moreover, most interaction time with driver training and orientation is synchronous or at the same time. This Learning Strategy is going to help you think about ways you can hold training without a physical classroom.
The following Lesson is broken down into two different interaction times.
- Meet in a webinar technology, like LumaLive.
- Give an anonymous poll in LumaLive or similar technology and ask if anyone in the room has been in or knows someone that was involved in an unhealthy relationship.
- Tell the class that this is a sensitive topic. They do not need to share if they do not feel comfortable. Be sure to explain the rules for sharing information and being respectful.
- Send out the link to The Relationship Spectrum Reference and What Is Domestic Violence?.
- Ask if anyone had an “Ah ha”! Moment or learned anything they did not know before exploring the resources. Have them share what new tibet they learned.
- Explain the importance of boundary setting. Possible script: Boundary setting is an important aspect to building healthy relationships. A healthy relationship is built on trust and mutual respect. Have open conversations and listen to the person you are trying to build a healthy relationship with.
- Share Setting Boundaries Questions through the chat and have the learners quietly answer the questions, They can think about themself or someone that they care about
- Ask the class to brainstorm why communication is important to build healthy relationships. Come up with a list of reasons together. You can do this in smaller groups and then have them come back to the larger group to share.
- After they have time to brainstorm ideas, give them time to read this Communication Guidance. Ask them all to consider one strategy they could improve on. There is always something we can all improve.
- Share current statistics from the The National Domestic Violence Website.
- Share how anyone can get help.
Anderson, T. (2003). Modes of interaction in distance education: Recent developments and research questions. Handbook of distance education, 129-144.