Mastering Email Overload
Luma Learning Strategies in the Transportation Industry
Teaching Without A Teaching Degree: Luma Learning Lessons contains 52 lesson plans and worksheets with 106 different teaching strategies designed for the trucking industry that can easily be adapted to suit any age and content topic.
Our free Luma Learning Lessons include objectives, estimated time, materials and instructional procedures for classroom and online/blended teaching. We will provide strategies on how to use our new LumaLive technology to collaborate virtually in real-time. We include these pillars from our learning research to illustrate where they are infused in our lessons.
For decades there has been discussions of interaction types in education. (Anderson, 2003) Most interaction types observed in driver training traditionally are learner to instructor or learner to content. Moreover, most interaction time with driver training and orientation is synchronous or at the same time. This Learning Strategy is going to help you think about ways you can hold training without a physical classroom.
The following Lesson is broken down into two different interaction times.
- Send out the Mastering Email Overload eNugget® and Mastering Email Workshop Handout before meeting for the workshop.
- Option: Have all learners on the same email platform so they can all learn the same strategies.
- Meet up in webinar technology, like LumaLive.
- Share your screen showing your email.
- Go through the Mastering Email Workshop Handout and walk through the steps. Pause between each step so the learners can practice and ask questions between each step.
- Option: Consider having different learners share their screens with each step. They can lead a step so that they are teaching others how to do it. This is one of the best ways to commit the skill to memory. Teach someone else.
- Post a discussion board for after class so they can post additional questions they have about using their email or trouble they are having with it.
- Consider recording videos on your own email client to walk through these steps and posting them in the Send out the Mastering Email Overload eNugget® to customize the experience.
- Set up a discussion board that includes a link to the Mastering Email Workshop Handout.
a. Use this worksheet to practice these skills in your email client.
b. What questions do you have? What do you need help with?
c. Post responses to your colleagues if you know the answer.
Anderson, T. (2003). Modes of interaction in distance education: Recent developments and research questions. Handbook of distance education, 129-144.